Photography: Pari Naderi
Transforming Lives Through Dance
Dance United Yorkshire positively changes the lives of marginalised and hard-to-reach people through high-quality dance training and performance.
- We create bespoke dance projects and interventions to meet the needs of different groups of people who are struggling with difficult circumstances – for example, youth offenders and gang members, people accessing mental health services or who are fighting addictions, and disengaged young people with seriously challenging behaviours.
- We train dance artists to work in this context, exploring strategies for working with non-engagement, resistance, and volatility when delivering dance activity.
- We collaborate with frontline partners and bring our dance expertise to bear on the development of new ways of working that improve outcomes for the people in their care.
- We commission exceptional choreographers to create inspiring new dance works for our participants to perform.
- We publicly demonstrate our young people's achievements showing our repertory at venues and festivals across the country.
- We develop new audiences for dance.
- We advocate the use of dance as a powerful tool for personal and social development to the general public and across the social inclusion sector, government agencies and the mainstream dance world.